Your optometrist wants to ensure the health of your eyes and vision.
You probably go to the dentist every six months for a cleaning and visit your primary care doctor once a year for a comprehensive physical exam. Seeing your eye doctor (optometrist) should be no different – you should plan on scheduling an appointment once a year, so you can get the health of your eyes and your vision checked. At Vision Center of Lake Norman, we encourage all our patients in Huntersville, North Carolina to come see us regularly for a comprehensive eye exam, and we do our best to make every appointment a good experience.
During a visit to your optometrist, your comprehensive eye exam will usually involve the following steps:
- Patient history—We will ask about any eye problems or issues you are currently experiencing.
- Visual acuity—We will evaluate how clearly each of your eyes is able to see using vision charts and other methods.
- Preliminary tests—We do tests to analyze your depth perception, eye muscle movements, peripheral vision, and other aspects of your eyesight.
- Refraction—We will determine the lens power you need to maximize your vision.
- Eye focusing and movement testing—We will do assessments to determine how well your eyes focus, move, and work together.
- Eye health valuation—We will analyze the results of all the tests combined to give you an overall evaluation of the health of your eyes and determine if there are any issues that need to be treated, such as glaucoma, macular degeneration or diabetes.
What to Do With an Eye Emergency
If you have an eye injury, you may wonder what to do and who to call. Is the injury very severe? Is there any damage? Is your vision okay? Unfortunately, the severity of an eye injury can be difficult to determine upon first look, and it’s important to contact your eye doctor right away, no matter how small or large the problem may seem. Eye injuries should be taken seriously! Ask your eye doctor about the action steps you should take.
If it has been a while since your last trip to the optometrist, there’s no time like the present! Reach out to us at Vision Center of Lake Norman today to schedule an appointment at our office.