We advise that our Cornelius, NC customers make an appointment with our optometrist right away to treat persistent problems with red eyes.
When you wake up in the morning with red eyes, you might attribute the problem to lack of sleep and go about your day. However, if the issue persists, it’s critical that our Cornelius, North Carolina patients make an appointment with our optometrist at Vision Center of Lake Norman.
If you are suffering from red eyes, keep in mind that this eye problem is extremely common and that it might show up in one or both of your eyes. In most cases, the redness that appears in your eyes comes from blood vessels that have expanded on the surface of your eye, typically due to inflammation from an infection or some form of irritation. For example, you might develop red eyes if there is a foreign object in one of your eyes or if you have dry eyes.
What is Causing Your Red Eyes?
These five things may cause red eyes and can be very serious if not examined by your eye doctor:
- Dry Eyes – Eyelids rub against your eye after each blink due to a lack of lubrication.
- Ocular Allergies – Very common in spring and fall months.
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) – Several different types — very contagious
- Corneal Ulcer/Infection – Usually related to sleeping in contact lenses or not wearing contact lenses properly.
- Iritis – Inside of eye becomes very inflamed and swollen.
Keep in mind that brief periods of red eyes are nothing to be too concerned about. However, you should come in for an eye exam at our office if:
- You can no longer see clearly out of one or both of your eyes
- You find that your eyes are painful, you become nauseated, or you have a hard time being in areas with bright light
- You can’t keep your eyes open all the way for extended periods of time
- A sensation exists that indicates there’s something in one of your eyes, but you can’t find it
- Light sensitivity and/or any discharge from your eyes
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at Vision Center of Lake Norman. As eye care professionals, we truly care about helping you maintain the health of your eyes.
At Vision Center of Lake Norman, we can help if you are dealing with red eyes in Mooresville, Davidson, Troutman, Sherrills Ford, Terrell, Huntersville, Statesville, and Cornelius, North Carolina.