Living with dry eyes can be extremely irritating. If your eyes are consistently dry, your eyes do not produce enough tears to keep your eyes properly lubricated. This eye condition is usually chronic and is most common among older adults. If you are worried about how your dry eyes are affecting your vision and the health of your eyes, make an appointment with our eye doctor at Vision Center of Lake Norman in Huntersville, North Carolina. We encourage our Huntersville, North Carolina customers to make an appointment at Vision Center of Lake Norman.
Keep in mind that there are a number of different situations that can cause dry eyes. These include some of the following:
- Gender – Menopause, the use of oral contraceptives, and pregnancy are just a few of the factors that make women more likely to develop dry eyes.
- Medications—Some medications, like decongestants, antihistamines, antidepressants, and blood pressure medications, can impact the amount of tears and the quality of the tears your eyes produce.
- Age—If you are over the age of 65, keep in mind that dry eyes are often just a normal part of getting older.
- Environmental Factors—Regular exposure to wind (ceiling fans), a dry climate, and smoke can result in continual tear evaporation.
- Medical Conditions—If you suffer from diabetes, arthritis, or thyroid issues, you are more likely to experience the symptoms associated with dry eyes.
At Vision Center of Lake Norman, we are here to help you manage the discomfort that comes from living with dry eyes. For more information about this eye condition or to schedule your next eye exam with our office, please give us a call today.