Regular eye exams are an important part of protecting your vision.
When was the last time you saw an optometrist? At Vision Center of Lake Norman, we recommend yearly eye exams for every one of our patients in Huntersville, North Carolina, regardless of their age or need for corrective lenses. Not only can regular eye exams help you ensure proper vision, but they can also help us detect vision and health problems early on. In many cases, vision problems have no major symptoms or signs, so early detection is critical to preventing further issues and in severe cases, vision loss.
What Happens During a Standard Eye Exam?
When you visit our office for an eye exam, a few things will happen during your appointment:
- We will perform a visual acuity test to measure the clarity and sharpness of your vision.
- We will conduct a confrontation visual test by asking you to cover each of your eyes to check your peripheral vision.
- We will perform an extraocular movement test to examine the muscles that control your eye movement.
- We will conduct pupillary tests to view how your pupils respond when exposed to light.
While your signs, symptoms, and personal vision history will determine which tests we perform during your appointment, most eye exams include the following components:
- Patient history—We will ask about any eye problems you are currently experiencing and inquire about your overall health.
- Visual acuity—We will perform a series of tests to determine how clearly each of your eyes can see.
- Keratometry—This type of test measures the curvature of your cornea, which is a critical test if you are interested in new contact lenses.
- Refraction—If you have any refractive error, refraction determines the strength of the lenses you need.
- Eye health evaluation—We will test for glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachments, hypertension and many other possible health problems.
Regular eye exams are not something you want to skip, so bring your whole family to see us at Vision Center of Lake Norman for exceptional care. To schedule your next appointment or find out more about our lineup of eye care services, please give our office a call today.